7 Ways To relieve period symptoms naturally and Practice Self Care During Your Period | HONEY & BE
This post comes highly requested from all of you! Thank you for being so willing to share what you want to hear from us. Our goal is to always provide meaningful, thoughtful and of course helpful self care content. With that being said, we are here to share 7 of our favorite and most effective tips for self care during your period.
We have been experiencing really intense PMS recently and have been trying to find ways to make our periods feel more manageable and more like something we are eager to feel and embrace rather than #MOODY. We both experience heavy cramps, migraines (mostly Elly), sleepless nights, intense mood swings (mostly Clea) and extremeee fatigue. There have been times where it feels nearly impossible to carry on with our day because of the pain we’re in, mentally and physically. Now we know we are absolutely not alone in feeling these things! So, let’s dive in.
Many women go through their menstrual symptoms silently and our hope is to open up a conversation where we can together feel empowered to take action and practice more period self care! Once you embrace your body, feelings and flow, it becomes a lot easier to discover what kind of period self care works for you. We really encourage you to take the time to learn what works for you, that way you can feel your best before, during and after your period.
Here are our top 7 self care period tips! Our recommendations go beyond the average feminine care products and into the other areas for total body self care, starting with the mind! xoxo
1. SET A SELF CARE INTENTION
When you are anticipating your period, sometimes that can feel perhaps overwhelming or draining. However, if you practice shifting your mindset and view getting your period as as time to indulge in a loving and gentle self care, things will feel so much more comforting.
When you set an intention around how you want and need to feel during your period, you are putting that energy out into the world and it will come back to you. Here is an example of an intention that you can use in your period self care practice: “I will embrace everything that I am feeling and accept it as a beautiful part of who I am in this world.”
Setting an intention will help you listen to how you feel, be in tune with your mind and body, and empower you to practice the self care that you deserve. If you intend to “embrace everything you feel,” when something feels off, confusing, painful or emotional during your period, you have already set the intention to allow yourself to feel that which empowers those emotions to feel OK.
Put on a dreamy, uplifting song and spend a few present moments with yourself and a notebook and get your thoughts out.
We are big fans of intention setting, as you may know ;) We even included an intention setting card in our products, the Honey & Be Facial Rollers so we can’t recommend this practice enough.
2. CURATE A PERIOD BOX
Being prepared for your period is something that can remove a lot of unnecessary stress. We recommend creating a period box to keep at home and another (a mini version) to take on the go so that you’re always prepared. Here are some of our all time favorite goodies that we would highly recommend for your period box!
- Rael pads & tampons we are in love with this brand and all that it stands for!
- Rael face masks and pimple patches - These pimple patches work like a charm. We were blown away by how quickly unwanted pimples have healed and how GLOWLY our skin has been from their bamboo fiber sheet masks!
- Pantyfresh - we can't get over how amazing these little packs are! Each one comes super tiny and includes a wipe, small pad AND a pair of soft panties. They were a life saver for us on our recent travels too!
- Saje wellness oils (moon cycle roller) - Specefically designed for your cycle, this oil will make you feel taken care of and at great peace.
- Migraine relief dynamic duo: Saje wellness peppermint halo and Honey & Be Jade Roller - Saje has been one of our FAVE brands for years. This combo in particular will truly ease period pain away. We love how pure and beautiful their products are. If you are already into essential oils or are just curious about it, look no further!
- Set the mood with a candle. We discovered this Mango Papaya Candle by Makana in Whole Foods and it stopped us in our tracks. All of their candles are so delicious smelling and transport you off to a self care dreamland! We will be order many more soon! They have such a variety of scents, so whatever you feel like you need..
- Relieve your cramps naturally with a heating pad
- Acupuncture mat (we recommend laying on it for a few hours, even sleeping on it for a few hours)
3. EMBRACE YOUR FEMININITY
We were inspired to look inward and honor our femininity at a WMN space event- read more here. There is something so powerful about female energy that helps healing. Next time you are on your period, try connecting with some women in your life that inspire you, notice how this makes you feel! We constantly look towards each other when we need a little mood boost or extra love. When we are on our periods especially, it is important for us to surround ourselves with positive, gentle and understanding female energy. Find a friend or family member that you know you can count on to lift you up :)
Here are some ways to connect to the feminine energy around you (and inside of you!):
- Do something that makes you feel beautiful such as wear a flowy dress, try a new eye shadow, take a hot bath, paint your nails or hit the gym!
- Talk to and spend time with the women in your life. Go on a matcha date, facetime, have a sleepover or go for a long drive.
- Express your creativity! Paint, draw, write, look up a DIY - do anything that makes you feel creative if that fuels you!
- Spend some time in nature and connect with Mother Earth. Go on a hike or walk to re-center and recharge your energy!
4. STAY IN
It is OK to say no to plans and stay in! This can be so hard sometimes but truly is one of the most important practices in self care. Say no to anything you do not have energy for. You do not have to make an excuse or feel bad! Set up a cozy area in your house and set the mood. Fill your space up with things like:
- Crystals and stones
- A piece of art to inspire you
- A book or magazine to get lost in
- A journal to write your thoughts in
- Photos to remind you of the places and people you love
- Essential oils/ oil diffuser for a relaxing scent
- Candles or a salt lamp for the perfect dim lighting
- Something from nature to ground you such as plants or flowers
- An inspirational, quote, saying, mantra that you can look at
After you set up a feel good space, do something that relaxes you!
- Take a bath while playing spa music (we love this tip even for the shower!)
- Give yourself a self love-infused delicate facial massage with the Honey & Be Rose Quartz Roller
- Mask it up with the Fresh Beauty face masks - Fresh has some of the most effective masks out there! They have a great variety in types as well, so based on what you feel like your skin needs, they have something for you!
- Nourish your body and cook a healthy meal
5. PRACTICE AFFIRMATIONS
Affirmations are such a powerful way to shift your mindset to a place of self love. We suggest that you create a set few affirmations to say specifically around your period. Eventually this will help you feel consistent in the messaging and love you tell yourself during your period! Use these as a guide and create your own for a more personalized experience. We encourage you to say a few affirmations aloud and see how this feels for you. You can also write them down on sticky notes or in a journal and take them with you to reference them whenever you need a self lovin’ boost!
I am worthy of self care. Every day I grow stronger & more at peace.
Compassion is infinite and fully surrounds me and my life.
I am open to change and transformation. I am worthy of all my dreams.
I deserve to take the time for myself so I can give my best self to the world.
I am strong, empowered and capable of anything.
I can light up any room with my energy.
I choose to be blissfully happy and healthy in mind, body and spirit.
My passions and creativity is nurtured by doing things I love.
I am strong enough to say no to the things that do not serve me.
I believe in myself. I love the gifts that I bring to the world.
I am a priority in my life and I treat myself with loving sweetness.
6. LISTEN TO YOUR MIND + BODY
Often times, our bodies give us hints when they need attention... these hints aren’t always loud so we have to learn to listen closely, with love and patience. As you go about your day, it is important to consider what you need in each moment. Take a pause to listen to your body and mind, ask yourself what you need, and learn to truly trust your intuition. The more you do this, the easier it will become! Allowing yourself feel whatever you need to feel is such a simple yet beautiful form of self care.
A note from our Co-Founder Clea: This is a tough one for me… lately I’ve been so emotional and almost scared of what my emotions are capable of while I’m on my period. I struggle with anxiety in my day to day life, but it is amplified when I’m on my period and I get these intense mood swings that seem to come out of nowhere. I’ve been so moody and notice that I take it out on the people that I love, so it’s really important for me to continually pause and reflect. By pausing, I am able to realize that I am in control of how I feel and act, and my hormones do not control me. My sister experiences the same thing and uses these PMS supplements to control her mood, and I just purchased these #mood supplements by Love Wellness so I will see how they do. This is still a work in progress so I will keep you updated on things that work for to help control my mood swings!
Here are some things you can do to tune into what you need during your period:
- Take pauses to self reflect. How are you feeling in this moment? What do you need?
- Journal to get your thoughts out
- Start your morning with yoga or meditation
- Let your emotions out- it’s okay. Cry if it feels right… you will feel so much better after processing your emotions in a healthy way.
7. TREAT YOURSELF TO A COZY BEVERAGE
One of our favorite things to do when we need to rest is make a hot cup of tea, matcha, or elixir and cozy up in bed. Here are some of our favorite hot beverages that will allow you to take a moment for yourself and slow down.
- Make a relaxing, nurturing moon milk, inspired by Alison Wu
- Treat yourself to a balancing, good-for-you Hot Cocoa! We love the Four Sigmatic Reishi Hot Cacao. Reishi will help you ease into a deep relaxation. Of course, it is always important to chat with your doctor before diving into taking adaptogens
- Detox and de-puff with some anti-inflammatory Turmeric Tea. Many of the uncomforts during your period come from bloating. Turmeric helps your body detox and reduce excess bloating.
- Chamomile tea helps relax the nervous system in the body which can improve your mood and help you feel at ease.
We hope you enjoyed our tips on self care during your period! We will definitely be sharing more as we continue finding things that make us feel our best! We invite you to take what you need from this, try a few things out, and see what makes you feel your best! We’re here for you :)
What do you do to feel your best while you’re on your period? Send us a note on our Instagram @honeyandbedaily! We would love to hear from you!
Clea & Elly